We all received word via Game Informer that there will be a new Gears of War title. The image, which Game Informer used (below) features someone in handcuffs being escorted by two COG soldiers. I’m thinking this is definitely a prequel based on the image, but it’s all speculation. For those familiar with the Gears of War franchise, Marcus Fenix was arrested for abandoning his post to save his father, Adam Fenix. The original Gears of War title opens with Dominic Santiago getting Marcus out of prison and in Gears of War 3 we play as Marcus attempting to save his father during a dream.
There is also speculation that this will be similar to that of Halo: ODST in that it offers a brief campaign and a more refined/polished multiplayer experience. I would not be too thrilled to see it go in that direction nonetheless a new Gears is always good in my book. Now aside from some speculative thoughts on the campaign and plot, I included some general changes I would like to see in the multiplayer portion of this Gears of War title.
- Improved Matchmaking
- Playlists that make sense to the players
- Improved Ranking system with more progressive unlocks
- More objective gametypes
- Improved spawning logic for TDM/King
- Theater Mode
- Better utilization of “events” calendar
- Improved game balance with stopping power and the lethality of each gun
- Dedicated server indicator
- Improved lethality of power weapons
- Better clarification, structure, and implementation of Ranked and Quick Match