Earlier today, Vizio announced their plans to release a tablet and smartphone to a new product line dubbed VIA. The VIA Phone and VIA Tablet will run on the Android OS and will share some fairly nice features including:
- 1GHz Processor
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth (no word on 3G for Tablet)
- HDMI & HD Playback
- Front-Facing Camera
- 5MP rear cameras
- Micro SD Slot
- 4-inch capacitive touchscreen (phone)
- 8-inch capacitive touchscreen (tablet)
The VIA Plus software will work in unison across multiple devices within Vizio’s lineup (phone, tablet, HDTV, etc). The VIA plus software will essentially let VIA devices to continue viewing content across multiple devices. This is an intriguing, strategic move, considering Vizio has made their mark having affordable electronics. The company plans on unveiling these devices at CES later this week and I will be in attendance. Full Press release after the jump.
VIZIO Announces VIA Plus, The Connected CE Ecosystem That Delivers A Unified User Experience From the Big Screen to Mobile Devices
- VIA Plus to provide seamless entertainment freedom for all across VIZIO’s line of HDTVs, Blu-ray Players, SmartPhones and Tablets
- VIA Plus combines the convenience of entertainment on demand with seamless experience from the big screen to handheld devices
- VIA Plus HDTVs and Blu-ray Players incorporate Google TV and feature premium Bluetooth QWERTY universal remote with touchpad, dual-band 802.11n built-in Wi-Fi and enhanced onscreen navigation including search and web browser
- VIZIO Smartphone and Tablet based on the Android™ Platform to feature built-in IR blaster with universal remote control app, HD playback with HDMI output, and access to thousands of apps in Android Market™
Irvine, CA—January 3, 2011 — VIZIO, America’s #1 LCD HDTV Company*, announced today the VIA Plus ecosystem, the next generation of VIZIO Internet Apps™ that will provide consumers with a connected CE experience unlike any other. The new ecosystem will allow for unified on-demand content and application consumption across multiple consumer electronic devices including VIZIO HDTVs, Blu-ray players, SmartPhones and Tablets.
“The promise of a unified consumer experience across multiple screens and devices has been unfulfilled until now,” said Matthew McRae, Chief Technology Officer at VIZIO. “With VIA Plus, VIZIO is delivering the first true integrated ecosystem across multiple classes of devices and enabling a simple yet powerful interface for consumers to enjoy their applications, services, and content.”
VIA Plus expands upon the VIA experience and extends it to new devices creating a world-class connected ecosystem that combines the latest technologies and a unified user experience to provide the very best HD entertainment experience. Consumers will be able to begin content consumption from one device and seamlessly transition the content to another device allowing entertainment to be continuously enjoyed anywhere and anyplace without interruption.
VIA Plus HDTVs and Blu-rays will incorporate Google TV and feature a premium Bluetooth QWERTY universal remote with touchpad, dual-band 802.11n built-in wifi and enhanced onscreen navigation including search and web browser.
The VIA Plus Phone and Tablet will be based on the Android Platform and feature built-in IR blaster with universal remote control app, HD playback with HDMI output, and access to hundreds of thousands of apps in Android Market.
“In the upcoming era of connected digital devices, we believe the companies that stand the best chance of success are those that realize the consumer experience isn’t just about hardware. Rather, it’s the integration of hardware, software, and services toward a specific usage model that will ultimately offer a unique and potentially lasting consumer experience,” said Richard Shim, mobile computing analyst with DisplaySearch. “One of the usage models that we believe can be addressed most readily is the consumption of high-quality digital entertainment.”
More Freedom with VIA Plus
With VIA Plus devices, consumers will be able to search, organize and access their favorite apps more easily than ever. At its core, the VIA Plus experience is a unified, consistent and intuitive user interface that allows consumers in just a few clicks to quickly group favorite apps by categories, customize the dock with their most frequently accessed apps or switch apps with the multitasking bar.
“We know we have tremendous interest and support from our current distribution for new VIA devices, but always are mindful of what the end user wants. With the proliferation of platforms and apps now available to connected devices, navigating and learning different interfaces can be frustrating to end users,” said Mr. McRae. “With that in mind, VIA Plus presents a simple, consistent, and elegant interface so users can quickly access the entertainment they seek on devices from a 4” mobile phone to a 65” Theater 3D HDTV.”
VIZIO will be demonstrating VIA Plus devices in their private CES showcase at the Wynn Hotel from Janurary 6 to 9, 2011.
- CES 2011 Preview: Products On The Radar
- Acer Liquid Stream S110 720p Video Recording
- AOC Unveils The Breeze Android 2.1 Tablet
- Turtle Beach Showing New Earforce PX5 Headset at CES
- Salvatore Ferragamo Leather iPad Cases
- I'm Excited for the iPad!
- @Rest iPad Stand
- Sweet iPad Leather Cases from Etsy's Beautiful Skin
- alkr iPad Sleeves
- iPad Now Used in Japanese Magic Tricks