We’ve covered upcoming controllers quite a bit here on the site, but this just may take the cake as the most interesting thing I’ve seen announced so far as console controllers begin improving.
The Avenger is a shell which you put your 360 controller into, enabling more control and faster inputs than you normally would. Once you slip it in, you twist a bunch of knobs and adjust tensions until you’ve got everything set up like hair-triggers. I’ve written in the past that I feel future controllers should implement hair-triggers for quicker firing, so this product is really interesting in that regard.
I’m not sold on the aesthetics, though, as the whole thing comes off looking a bit overwhelming. I’m not sure how it could have been done to look a bit better though, seeing as another feature of the controller is being able to hit the face buttons without leaving the triggers (a reason which prompts a lot of pro players to “Claw” their controller with their index finger hitting the face buttons). Of course, the shell does nothing to fix the biggest issue with the 360 controller which is the sticks themselves, but I think it is still a pretty cool innovation.
I’m going to see if we can manage to get one to do a proper review. The product page says it retails for $59.00 and to allow 6-8 weeks for delivery (which is a pretty long time).
- Gamer Feedback From MLG x Madcatz Agreement
- MLG's Sundance Reveals Some 2011 Season Details via Twitter
- Controllers (Part Three) – An Open Letter to MLG
- Madcatz Controller Models Tell Future of MLG Controllers
- Why Did Major League Gaming and MadCatz Sign Premium Controller Agreement?
- Razer Possibly Creating “REAL” Tournament Arcade Stick, Calls out MadCatz
- Controllers (Part Two) – The Expectations
- Question of the Week #8: Razer Onza
- Razer Onza Unbanned from Major League Gaming?
- Razer Onza Feedback: How is the Onza Treating You...Unfair Advantage?