Gears of War 3: Title Update 3 Hits January 11 (Release Note Details Included)
The general release notes for tomorrow’s Gears of War 3 Title Update have recently been released (found below). I found several of the “Improvements” to be noteworthy, particularly for the competitive Gears scene, however I did not see the King of the Hill Overtime information in these notes. I’m not sure if this wasn’t included or if it’s not being fixed until TU4. I also have to wonder when we’re going to see some of the Mantle Kick issues resolved.
- The most important change is probably the “Man Up” rule is now an “On/Off” option for custom, private matches. This was an issue that was heavily debated, long before the game released and directly influences the outcome of matches in the competitive gaming scene. I can imagine this improvement will cause some immediate sighs of relief for the greater portion of the competitive Gears community that was not particularly fond of its implementation.
- The unlockable characters will allow variety in player selections while also showcasing some of those characters at large, streamed events. I think it also gives the general community a teaser at upping their online character swag.
- The “One Shot” glitch is now fixed on Drydock. This exploit fix definitely has some impact on King of the Hill for the map, although the competitive community is not particularly in favor of Drydock for Execution.
- The Xbox Live Notifications are going to be fixed with this update, alleviating our woes with the notification blocking the Kill Feed! I can finally turn my notifications back on — woohoo!
- Several noteworthy changes to Ghost Camera which should improve stream viewership.
Read on for the details below:
Gears of War 3 Title Update Coming January 11
By | January 09 , 2012 11:13 PM • 2936 Views
A new Title Update for Gears of War 3 will be available January 11, 2012 and will be downloaded automatically by starting Gears 3 while connected to Xbox LIVE. The update will include a variety of balance tweaks, bug fixes and more. Here’s a sneak peek at some of what you can expect to see:
1. All unlockable and non-purchasable characters are unlocked for System Link play. Online play still limits players to characters that they have unlocked or have purchased through DLC.
2. “Classic” stalemates are now enabled on the Execution and Warzone playlist. An option exists in private Execution to disable classic stalemates and re-enable the man-up rule.
3. The ghost camera can be raised and lowered using the Xbox controller d-pad.
4. “Must Active Reload” mutator has been made more restrictive. Issues with the Torque Bow and OneShot have been fixed.
5. “Retribution” ribbon is now compatible with dedicated servers.
6. Holding the “Y” button before being in range of a DBNO player and then walking into activation range will start the execution sequence. This is similar to holding “X” to queue up a weapon pickup sequence when walking into range of a dropped weapon.
1. Removed Hammerburst and Longshot exploits with using the iron-sights/scope on Mercy where a player could shoot from a concealed position near the Sanctuary bells. Damage will not register when players are using the scope or iron-sights from that concealed position.
2. Fixed the OneShot exploit on Drydock. Players will be pulled out of the OneShot mounted pose when in certain positions.
1. A second player signing in on the loading screen before entering the pre-game lobby will no longer cause profile issues.
2. The transition from spectator player view to ghost camera view will no longer force the ghost camera view to point upwards.
3. The map cycle in QuickMatch is now randomly ordered.
4. DLC that is not owned by the current player will no longer stop the player from using DLC they do own.
5. Horde will no longer use the Versus weapon swaps. Horde players will have Hammer of Dawn and Mortar spawns on Overpass again.
6. Fixed the lens flare on a scoped Longshot not appearing for a player facing left.
7. Xbox system notifications have been moved out of the way of kill messages in competitive multiplayer. They now show up in the top center of the screen.