Major League Gaming had a bit of a shake up yesterday which came as a surprise to many of the gamers that follow the growing league. Previous CEO, Matthew Bromberg quit yesterday after a difference of opinion on the companies future growth plans. Bromberg is partly responsible for the companies frantic growth rate over the last 4 1/2 years, but he is now being replaced by Sundance DiGiovanni.
Sundace, one of the company’s founders, will now serve as interim CEO. Both Bromberg and Sundance said that the company’s leaders had a difference in opinion in relation to how fast the company should continue to grow.
“We have had an extraordinary run of growth and success over the last four years,” said Bromberg. “There was a feeling among the founders that it was time to scale back our ambitions and grow more slowly. That isn’t in my nature, and was not my plan. We all agreed it was best to find a new CEO to execute this strategy.”
Sundance, previously Major League Gaming’s Chief Brand Officer, stated that his goal is to focus on profitable growth on a consistent basis and to grow the company at a slower pace. He also added that Bromberg left the company in goodwill despite the disagreement.
“We had a recent board meeting with divergent opinions about the focus for the company,” DiGiovanni said. “We are not changing the plan. It’s just a change in the velocity at which we are attempting to travel.”
This is definitely an interesting development coming off the heels of the first MLG event. I don’t know if this is something that should raise a red flag, but it is definitely a noteworthy change. I personally think Sundance is awesome and I’m wondering how this will affect his involvement with the players in the league.
What do you think is this good or bad news?
- AmazYn vs vVv Vision 2009 Scrimmage
- Vote For Your Favorite MLG x Hot Topic T-Shirt Design
- MLG Announces 30 Million MLG-Branded Doritos Bags In Stores Now
- New Gears of War 3 Beta YouTube Videos on AmazYn Team Channel
- Message from a New Gears of War Convert
- Major League Gaming: How The League Can Improve
- Thoughts on Sundance State of The Game Podcast
- Making a Living Gaming: An All Too Frequent Question Answered
- Pr0Gaming Interviews arCtiC at CES 2011
- AmazYn vs. TLR Battle of the Baddest Tonight!